Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hello Old Age, It's me- Jennifer


I have this ever evolving checklist of how I know I’m getting old. Age is inevitable, this I know. And I swear I feel better now than I did when I was a teenager. I finally feel “one” with my body- I have very few insecurities. I’m active, healthy, and in overall great health. Life is good. But that clock on the wall reminds me how short life really is with each tic that goes by.


My checklist is my realization that as young as I may feel… man, I’m getting old! Now- relax and take a deep breath! Deep down I know that I’m far from “old”. I’m just aware that time is going by ever so fast, and well- sometimes I wish it would slow down a little, ya know?



My latest installment on my old age checklist… MARRIAGE!! Yes!! It finally happened!!


I finally walked down the aisle and said my “I do’s”! It’s still sort of surreal… I still feel like that little grammar school girl with a school yard crush. But the day came and went by SO quickly, and I’m left still trying to take it all in.



The day was absolutely beautiful. Everything turned out wonderful! Despite the fact that I buried my father 3 wks ago, and my mom passed away in 07… I was happy to know that they both had the chance to meet and get to know my husband prior to their deaths…and I know they were both with us, together, this weekend.
 So now that I am a wife… (how weird does that sound!) here is my updated old age checklist.

 

  1. My fridge is stocked w/ pictures of my friends children during the Christmas Season. KIDS!! When did that happen?
  2. Back in the day I used to look up to professional athletes who were always older than me. Now- well, let’s just say I don’t look up anymore
  3. I wake up in the morning, have a cup of coffee and watch the news.
  4. I have to watch the news before I go to bed. I don’t remember the day I stopped watching cartoons and started watching the news
  5. I say things to kids that my mom used to say to me. “Pull your horns in”, “I don’t like your tone of voice”.
  6. I have to be in bed by 10 to function the following day
  7. In the store this morning I saw a sign that read “must be born before August 1 1990 to purchase cigarettes”. 1990?! OMG seriously?
  8. I'm at a point in my life where my head is fully working- but now my body is falling apart
  9. Based off my parents lifespan- I’m officially starting my mid-life crisis.
  10. I turned down buying a sports car b.c my first thought was “i can’t drive kids around in that”
  11. I get CNN breaking news updates on my cell, and Yahoo Finance is my homepage on Internet Exlorer.
  12. I get a mortgage bill every month… mortgage!
  13. I remember when the only bill I had to pay was for my beeper ……Yes, I remember having a pager! (my code was 23) ;)
  14. I didn’t have to wear a seatbelt in the car - or ride in the backseat- when I was under 10 yrs old.
  15. My first gaming system was an Atari.  
  16. A 19” tv screen was considered a big screen tv
  17. More often than not- people I don’t know are calling me Mam…. MAM!!! UGH
  18. I just ADDED to my life insurance policy. I have a damn life insurance policy…if that isn’t a sign of getting old I don’t know what is!
  19. I have a husband. HUSBAND!! And yes- I changed my name ;-)




And the list continues…











1 comment:

  1. This is the stuff which was available for me as a child. Age. It can be a bitch. Enjoy the ride. It isn't as bad as the alternatives.

    ReplyDelete